- 1 cup raw pecan halves or pieces (or lightly toasted)
- 1 teaspoon pecan or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or low sodium tamari)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- To serve (optional):
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded green or red cabbage
- Green onion
- In a pan over medium heat, add oil, onion, coconut aminos, and spices. Cook about 4 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Add pecans and onion mixture to food processor and pulse until consistency of ground beef, about 8 to 10 pulses. Makes 1 cup taco “meat.”
- To serve: Heat taco “meat,” if desired. Then use to make tacos with classic ingredients such as corn tortillas, shredded green/red cabbage, tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, jalapeños, lime, and guacamole. Serve immediately.
*Recipe notes: Use 1 heaping tablespoon of natural taco seasoning mix instead of the cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne if you’re in a time crunch.