- For Dough
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed slightly
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour + more for rolling out
- 1 teaspoon pecan oil or olive oil or cooking spray
- For the filling/assembly:
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (4-ounce) jar of diced pimentos, drained and patted dry with a paper towel, divided
- To a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the milk and instant yeast. Allow to stand for 5 to 7 minutes, until foamy.
- To the bowl of a stand-up mixer, with the hook attachment, add the yeast/milk mixture, melted butter, eggs, salt and flour. Turn the mixer on medium speed and knead for 5 to 8 minutes, until the dough has formed a smooth ball. Rub the inside of a clean bowl with olive oil or coat with cooking spray and transfer the dough to the bowl. Grease the top of the ball of dough and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Spray or oil a 9-inch round cake pan or baking dish. Liberally flour your work surface and roll the dough into a 12×12-inch square that’s about 1/2-inch thick. Cut that into 36 squares. Roll the squares into balls.
- Place half of the balls into the prepared pan and top with half of the cheese, pecans and pimentos. Add the other half of dough balls and top with the remaining cheese, pecans and pimentos. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise, in a warm place, for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until top is golden brown and puffed. Serves 12.