- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves divided
- 7 cups assorted vegetables such as 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced; 1/2-pound asparagus, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces; 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips; 1 carrot, peeled and thinly cut into 1/2 moons; 1 medium zucchini and 1 medium yellow squash , thinly sliced and cut into half moons
- 1/2 pound penne
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Pour cherry tomatoes into a large bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper, and more if needed, to taste. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes while prepping the other ingredients.
- To prepare topping, mix together grated Parmigiano Reggiano, pecans, parsley and 1 minced garlic clove in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil to cook pasta. Once boiling, add pasta and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes or until al dente. (Note: you can also follow instructions on your pasta package.)
- While water is coming to a boil, remove tomatoes from oven and place in small bowl. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- Add vegetables to the large bowl, toss with remaining olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper, and more if desired, to taste. Place on same baking sheet as tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Add the tomatoes back onto the tray for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- When pasta is cooked, strain it and pour into the large bowl. Mix in the roasted vegetables with the tomatoes. Pour this mixture into an 11×7-inch oven proof dish.
- Move the shelf in the oven to the second from the top and turn on the broiler. Sprinkle the topping in an even layer over the top of the pasta and vegetables and broil until cheese is melted and pecans are lightly toasted, about 2 minutes depending on the broiler. Serve immediately.