- 1 1/2 cups fresh pecan halves or pieces, toasted and coarsely ground in food processor
- 1 spiral cut, bone-in, smoked ham (it’s the one that’s fully cooked, about 9 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons good quality bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat an oven to 275 degrees F. Place the ham flat side down in a shallow baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake until ham is heated through or reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. (Estimate 12 to 13 minutes per pound or approximately 2 hours total)
- While the ham is cooking, prepare the glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together orange zest, orange juice, bourbon, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, cayenne and salt. Combine and then stir in the coarsely ground pecans.
- Once the ham is heated through, take the baking dish from the oven and uncover. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Spoon or brush 2/3 of the glaze over the top and sides of the ham then place in the oven uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Spoon or brush over the remaining glaze, and let cook for an additional 10 minutes until the glaze is bubbling and the pecans turn dark brown in spots. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.