Salt Roasted Root Vegetables:
1 cup Kosher salt
1 pound baby red beets, washed, tops trimmed and left unpeeled
1 pound baby turnips, washed, tops trimmed and left unpeeled
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
Honey Whipped Ricotta:
12 ounces fresh ricotta cheese
4 ounces heavy whipping cream
2 ounces truffle honey or other flavored honey
Kosher salt to taste
1/2 ounce candied pecans
2 ounces honey whipped ricotta
3/4 ounces Serrano ham
3 ounces salt roasted root vegetables
4 breakfast radishes, shaved 1/8 inch
10 micro herbs
Cracked pepper to taste
Make the Salt Roasted Root Vegetables:
- Place 1/2 cup of salt in a aluminum foil.
- Place the beets and turnips on top of the salt next to one another. Cover with the remainder of the salt.
- Close the foil around the vegetables and roast for 30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the root vegetables from the oven and test for doneness with the tip of a small knife. The vegetables should be tender.
- Remove the beets and turnips from the foil and rinse gently under cool water to remove the salt. Remove the skin from the vegetables with a paper towel under running water. Trim the tips with a paring knife.
- Quarter the vegetables into 4 sections and set beets aside.
- Place turnips in a small bowl and add 1/2 cup of white balsamic vinegar. Marinate the turnips in the vinegar for 20 minutes. Remove the turnips from the vinegar and set aside.
Make the Honey Whipped Ricotta:
- Combine the ricotta, heavy cream and honey in a large bowl.
- Whip using a whisk until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
Make the Beet Salad:
- Portion Honey Whipped Ricotta cheese across the center of a plate.
- Place the Serrano ham over and around the ricotta cheese.
- Place theSalt Roasted Root Vegetables around the ham.
- Place the pecans and radish in between the vegetables.
- Finish with an extra drizzle of honey and a few turns of the pepper mill.