- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened large coconut flakes (not shredded coconut)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus additional to serve
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pecan milk, other non-dairy milk, or 2% milk, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roughly chop the dried cherries and place them in a large bowl.
- Spread the oats evenly on a baking sheet, then place the coconut in another even layer over the top. On another baking sheet, place the pecan pieces. Bake both trays for about 10 minutes, watching closely, until the coconut is evenly golden brown. Remove the trays from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup and vanilla, then heat it in the microwave until warmed through, about 20 seconds (alternatively, heat on the stovetop). In a large bowl, combine the toasted oats, coconut, and pecans with the cherries, spices, and maple mixture, then stir to thoroughly combine. Pour the mixture back onto the baking sheet and spread it into an even layer to allow to fully dry, about 10 minutes. Stir to break up any clumps, then transfer to a sealable container.
- To serve, pour over milk and drizzle with a touch of maple syrup. For one serving, we used 3/4 cup cereal, 1/2 cup milk, and 2 teaspoons maple syrup. Note that adding the maple syrup when serving adds the final bit of sweetness; it can be customized according to your palate as desired.