For the honey mustard:
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons pecan, avocado or olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Juice of 1/2 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the salmon:
2 pounds salmon filet, skin on or off
1 cup pecan pieces
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. or heat a grill to medium heat.
- Begin by whisking honey mustard ingredients: Dijon mustard, honey, oil, garlic, lemon juice, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil, and coat with cooking spray. Place the salmon in the middle of the foil. Spoon the honey mustard over the salmon, then top with pecans.
- Fold the foil over the top of the salmon so that is completely covered.
- Cook the salmon (see directions for oven and grill below)
- For the oven: Bake for about 15 minutes (for a 1 inch thick piece of salmon, allow extra time if fillet is thicker than 1 inch). Remove salmon from oven and set oven to broil. Carefully peel back the top of the foil (you may have some steam here), put salmon back in the oven under the broiler for another 2 minutes. Remove from oven and top with parsley if desired. Serve immediately.
- If grilling the salmon: transfer the foil pack to the hot grill. Cook for 13-14 minutes or until salmon is almost cooked through. Carefully open the top of the foil, and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until salmon is cooked through. Remove from oven and top with parsley if desired. Serve immediately.