For the Meatballs:
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1/3 cup chopped green onions (about 2 stalks)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 cup pecan pieces, ground
For the Sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce (see recipe notes)
1/2 teaspoon corn starch (see recipe notes)
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 head of butter lettuce leaves
1/2 cup matchstick carrots
Chopped scallions (optional)
Cilantro leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, green onions, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, garlic, powdered ginger. Use your hand to combine until mixed.
- In a food processor, pulse pecan pieces until coarsely ground. They should be about the same consistency as panko bread crumbs.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture at a time and roll into meatballs. Place the pecan crumbs on a plate, then roll the meatballs in the ground pecans until evenly coated.
- Place the pecan crusted meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue until all meatballs are formed and coated with pecans.
- Place meatballs in oven and bake at 375 degrees F. for approximately 20 minutes. Flip after 15 minutes.
- Make the sauce: While meatballs are cooking, combine the Soy Sauce, Cornstarch, fish sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat and add the sauce. Continue to stir until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool until ready to serve.
- To serve: sprinkle the lettuce cups with the shredded carrots. Then, place the meatballs on top and drizzle with sauce. Garnish (optional) with scallions and cilantro.
- You may substitute with coconut aminos if you are following a Whole30 diet
- You may substitute for arrowroot flour if you are following a Whole30 diet
Saturated Fat 6g