For the Baked Oatmeal:
2 large eggs
2 cups milk or pecan milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Pecan Pie Topping:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 cup pecan halves
- To make the Baked Oatmeal: Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray the bottom and sides of an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake oatmeal mixture for 10 minutes. (It will go back in the oven with the topping)
- To make the Pecan Pie Topping: While the oatmeal is baking, prepare the pecan pie topping: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup to a boil. Stir in the pecans.
- Remove the oatmeal from the oven (after the 10 minutes), spread the pecan mixture over the top, and return to the oven to bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed, and the center is set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate leftovers for up to 4 days.