1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted, divided
2 cups water
1/2 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
4 cups chopped stemmed Lacinato (also known as dinosaur) kale
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
1/8 teaspoons white pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Crushed red pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425’F.
- Bring the water to a boil in a 2-3 quartsauce pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in the polenta and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Keep whisking until combined. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring every 10 minutes, until softened, about 30 minutes.
- While the polenta is cooking, make the kale. Combine kale with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread kale out evenly onto a large, rimmed baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack
- Stir parmesan cheese into polenta. Finely chop ¼ cup of the pecan pieces and add to the polenta; stir to combine.
- Portion polenta onto plates, top with kale and remaining pecan pieces then drizzle with remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Garnish with crushed red pepper, if desired.