- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup fresh pecan pieces
- 1 3/4 cups light spelt or whole wheat pastry flour (see recipe notes)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or light or dark brown sugar (to taste)
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges (about 1/2 cup juice)
- 6 tablespoons pecan or vegetable oil (such as safflower, grapeseed, coconut, or refined avocado)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly oil a rectangular loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour(s), baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and sugar.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the orange zest, juice, oil, and water. Add these wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until they’re just evenly combined (a few clumps are fine). Fold in 1/2 cup pecan pieces. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf, then sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup pecan pieces on top.
- Bake the loaf for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and set. Allow it to cool for 15 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan, then transfer it to a wire rack. Allow it to cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.
Recipe Note: You may also use unbleached, all purpose flour, or a combination of AP & whole wheat