1 12-ounce package brown rice penne pasta
1 teaspoon pecan or extra virgin olive oil
2 small zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
2 small yellow squash, sliced in half lengthwise
1 24-ounces jar pasta sauce (no sugar added), warmed
Fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese, optional, for garnish
Spicy Pecan Italian “Sausage”
1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 tablespoon fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup raw pecan pieces (or lightly toasted)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Heat water in pot on stovetop for pasta.
- Make pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Make the spicy pecan Italian “sausage”: In a pan over medium heat, add oil, onion, fennel seed, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, and red pepper flakes (do not add pecans or vinegar yet). Cook 4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add pecans, red wine vinegar, and onion mixture to food processor and pulse until consistency of ground pork, about 8 to 10 pulses. Makes 1 cup pecan “sausage”.
- Lightly brush zucchini and yellow squash with olive oil and place on hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until tender. Remove and chop into bite-sized cubes.
- Serve family-style or in individual bowls. Layer pasta, vegetables, and pasta sauce. Top with pecan “sausage” and fresh basil and parmesan if desired.