1/4 cup fresh pecan pieces
1 can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed, drained and patted dry
1 can kidney beans (15 ounces), rinsed, drained and patted dry
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
2 carrots, grated
1/4 cup grated onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine the beans in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a food processor, pulse the pecans and oats until coarsely chopped. (You do not want a super-fine mixture.) Add the grated carrots, grated onion, 3/4 of the beans, all of the spices and the olive oil and process again, mixing everything together.
- Using a spatula, transfer mixture into a large bowl and add the remaining beans. Wet your hands and form the bean mixture into six patties.
- Place the bean burger patties on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or, preferably, a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat, and bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes, flipping the burgers halfway through.
- Remove burgers from the oven, allow to cool slightly and serve on your favorite burger buns, loaded with your favorite toppings.
Saturated Fat 1g