2 cups raw pecan pieces
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of cinnamon
Pecan Butter Sugar Cookies
1 cup + 2 tablespoons oat flour
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons pecan oil or coconut oil or oil of choice
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pecan butter
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 flax egg* or 1 egg
12 raw pecan pieces
Maple Pecan Frosting
1 cup raw pecan halves for topping
1/4 cup pecan butter
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup pecan milk* or other milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone mat.
- Add the pecans to the baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes. This gives the pecans a fragrant smell and warms up the oils in the pecans.
- Add toasted pecans to a food processor and add sea salt and cinnamon. Pulse on low or high until combined into a nut butter, stopping to scrape down the sides down as necessary, for about 2 to 8 minutes, depending on your machine. You can store the rest in your fridge or on the counter.*
Pecan Butter Sugar Cookies:
- In a small bowl, add the oat flour, xantham gum, baking powder and baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt. Whisk together thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the coconut oil, pecan butter and brown sugar. With a standing mixer or a hand mixer, mix until thoroughly incorporated, about 3 Add the vanilla extract and the flax egg. Blend until thoroughly incorporated, scraping down sides, for about 3 minutes. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches, and mix with mixer until incorporated. Scrape down the sides to gather all the dough and gently fold in.
- Form dough into a large ball or two smaller balls and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to set.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and scoop 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie. Roll slightly between fingers to form a ball. Place dough ball on a lined cookie sheet, and repeat, leaving adequate space between each.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes: 12 for slightly softer, 15 for firmer.
Maple Pecan Frosting:
- While the cookies are baking, mix together all the ingredients in a small pan over medium low heat to combine. Whisk vigorously for about 5 minutes until thick and incorporated and allow to cool completely in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Once the cookies cool, spread the frosting over the cookies, then sprinkle pecan halves and pecan pieces over the top of the cookies. Enjoy! Makes about 18 to 20 cookies.
- Use leftover pecan butter on toast or oatmeal, in a smoothie or other baked good or in sauces and dressings.
- Flax egg is: 1 tablespoon flax seeds + 3 tablespoons of water, mixed and in fridge for 15 minutes before.
- Find our Pecan Milk recipe here.